Friday, June 16, 2023

Meeting with Delft Grad Students


 On June 8th, 2023 I attended a meeting with graduate students at Delft Technical University to learn more about their research. I was interested to see if they shared a similar headspace to what I hold, where there is so much to do with so little time. I often get overwhelmed by this perplexity. These four grad students, from all over the world, shared with me what they are passionate about and why. Whether it be the dijk systems in The Netherlands, the process of reclaiming land in Flevoland, or undoing the effects of colonization, they were passionate about their efforts in hopes of creating real change. What I found more inspiring was learning that they share the same worries as me, but know that if they do nothing, things won't ever change. Standing behind their work, they opened doors of possibility for me that I had previously closed off. Coming from a smaller geography department, it was almost comforting to have these intellectually riveting conversations about the systems in place and how we, as geographers, do hold a significant role in it. This field is a lot like a salmon swimming upstream to me. With the current world operating in a way against what I believe in, I have to find my voice and continue to swim upstream. No change will happen if I don't try.


Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands | Turner & Townsend

A green roof over the library on campus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fenix Food Factory

Fenix Food Factory is located within the Katendracht neighborhood of Rotterdam. It sources independent chefs, brewers, and craftsmen to fill...